Sunday, September 26, 2010

On Florida...

What is Florida, like 2 feet above sea level? Whenever I come down here I am of two minds...I want to enjoy the exotic nature of being in the subtropics, see the sights you cannot see anywhere else and relish the idea of being half a day's drive from the Gulf or the Atlantic.

Then again, I get antsy about being so low down near sea level and wonder, somewhere in the back of my twisted mind, what would happen if the whole state tilted even a little. Did everyone from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania buy a retirement home just off the Next EXIT along I-95 or I-75? In reality, I suppose I am just jealous that where I live in the winter is nothing and I mean NOTHING remotely like any part of the sunshine state unless you include the northernmost tip on the coldest day ever recorded there and be sure to calculate in the humidity. That type of cold goes bone deep, but seldom lasts very long, and which is one very good reason for the aforementioned middle Atlantic states emptying out from January until April.

When it gets hot in Fla, the same humid conditions apply so that it really FEELS hot, all those ocean breezes notwithstanding. All in all, though, it's a good trip. Since most folks are from somewhere else, it's easy to get along.